Das Schwarze Korps (German for The Black Corps) was the official newspaper of the Schutzstaffel (SS). This newspaper was published on Wednesdays and distributed for free. Each SS member was supposed to read the publication and urge others to do so as well. The chief editor was SS leader Gunter d’Alquen; the publisher was Max Amann of the Franz-Eher-Verlag? publishing company. The paper was hostile to many groups, with frequent articles condemning the Catholic Church, Jews and others. The first edition appeared on March 6, 1935, with 70,000 copies in print. In November of the same year, publication reached 200,000 and by 1944 had increased to 750,000. The newspaper was published in close co-operation with the SS Secret Service, which had substantial editorial control.