Ex-kampbewaarder sterft even voor uitzetting

Johann Breyer
Johann Breyer

PHILADELPHIA – Een 89-jarige voormalige kampbewaker in Auschwitz-Birkenau is overleden kort voordat hij uit de VS naar Duitsland zou worden uitgewezen. Dat heeft zijn advocaat woensdag laten weten, aldus Amerikaanse media.

Woensdag bepaalde een rechtbank dat Johann Breyer aan Duitsland mocht worden uitgeleverd. Maar die uitspraak was overbodig, omdat de bejaarde ex-SS’er dinsdag in een ziekenhuis was overleden. Hij zou in de Tweede Wereldoorlog hebben geholpen bij het

Meer: http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/22889152/__Ex-bewaarder_dood_voor_uitzetting__.html

Over Johann Breyer

Johann Breyer (May 30, 1925 – July 22, 2014) was a retired tool and die maker who the Office of Special Investigations (OSI) unsuccessfully attempted to denaturalize and deport for his teenage service in the SS. His was considered the “most arcane and convoluted litigation in OSI history.” In 2013 Germany issued an arrest warrant accusing him of aiding in killing 216,000 Jews as a guard at Auschwitz. He was arrested at his home in Philadelphia on June 17, 2014, age 89, and held without bail pending an extradition hearing. His health rapidly deteriorated while in custody and he died on July 22 prior to his hearing.

Johann Breyer was born in 1925 in the ethnic German farming village of Neuwalldorf, Czechoslovakia (now Nová Lesná, Slovakia), to farmer Johann Breyer and his wife Katrina. Katrina Breyer was born in 1895 in Manayunk, Pennsylvania (a fact that would prove pivotal in later efforts to deport him from the United States) and moved with her family to Neuwalldorf while a teenager. Breyer attended German school and worked on his parent’s farm. In 1942, at age 17, he enlisted in the Waffen SS and was assigned as a guard at Buchenwald and Auschwitz. He acknowledged serving as an armed guard and escorting prisoners to their work sites and denied any personal role in or witnessing of any atrocities. Soviet troops began to approach Auschwitz in January 1945; Breyer was on home leave at the time and was re-routed to a forward fighting unit until taken prisoner by the Soviet Army in May 1945. He emigrated to the United States in 1952 under the Displaced Persons Act (DPA) and settled in Philadelphia where he raised three children with his wife and worked as a tool and die maker for an engineering company. He became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1957.

bron: Wikipedia